Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Inspirational Cathy DeBuono

Sometimes in life we discover a writer, a poet, a musician, an artist, or an actor/actress who really touches us. 
 
I have discovered that ‘touch’ in Cathy DeBuono. She is intelligent, eloquent, funny, and oh-my-god-gorgeous! But the most stunningly gorgeous thing about her is this: she is comfortable being who she is. 

Her advice in her Vlog What’s YOUR problem? comes from this place of knowing who she is. Why is this important? Because our journey through life is to know who we are, and to love who we are, so that we can love other people. It is not that we cannot love another until we love ourself, it is that can love better and greater when we also love ourself. 

I have not watched all of Cathy’s Vlogs, because I only ‘discovered’ her a week ago, but I have loved the Vlogs I have watched. It is not just that she gives good advice because she is a trained Psychotherapist (with a Masters in Psychology), but that she herself knows who she is, and is comfortable with who she is. She is very ‘present’ and very ‘honest’. I love this! I love that purity of honesty.

Too many people play games, pretend to be someone they are not, live behind facades and designer clothes, and never really show any kind of personal honesty. By that honesty I mean they don't know who they are, therefore they cannot live who they are. Instead they buy into the materialism of society, of trying to 'be' someone, of placing importance on money and fame instead of personal honesty and integrity. I would rather spend an evening with one or two people who are 'real' and comfortable in their own skin, that a room full of plastic people...or, I'd rather just stay home.

Cathy DeBuono is someone to watch, to listen to, to admire, and to respect. Yes, I'm a fan!

She’s given me a lot to think about, and one of those things was that as an actress she is a commodity that she has to market. That made me think more closely about some of the things I want to do in my life. Does it ‘fit’ the commodity that I (me as a writer) am trying to market? To market the commodity, you must know the commodity, and when you know the commodity, you will know how to market it, how to be it, to fully and passionately—absolutely no holding anything back—live it. 

My philosophy is: live with all the passion I possibly can.  

Don’t giggle, LAUGH!
Don’t sip at life, GULP IT DOWN!
Don’t air kiss your friends, GRAB THEM AND HUG THEM TIGHT!
Don’t judge anyone, LOVE THEM FOR WHO AND WHAT THEY ARE!
Don’t be meek, BE PASSIONATE!
Don’t be half hearted, GIVE IT ALL YOU’VE GOT TO GIVE!
Don’t just say…oh I don’t know… “Cathy DeBuono is good”, say “OH MY GOD, CATHY DEBUONO IS FREAKINGLY AWESOME!!” and say it with excitement, passion, shout it, feel it, know it! 

Stop holding back in life. As this person that you are, you have one run, make it count, make it the best it can be. Find people of value to listen to (Cathy De Buono...me!) and dive headlong into life! Don’t judge others, accept them, love them, learn who they are. Seek out people who inspire you, make you think, and even the people who push your buttons—because if no one pushes your buttons you won’t know they’re there! It’s a journey, people, a wild, and fantastic, and incredible journey!

I will leave you with a quote from Eckhart Tolle: "You will find peace not by rearranging the circumstances of your life, but by realising who you are at the deepest level."




(this post is also on my website on the Journal of the Wandering Mind page
www.robynmspeed.com/journal.htm)

No comments:

Post a Comment