Monday, June 20, 2011

Earthquakians

We are the ‘earthquakians’ (a terminology I have just stolen from a friend*) and we live in a place that for nine months has absolutely refused to keep still. This is, I point out, not the normal nature of this land, for I have lived here a long time and she sat still most of the time.

I find that these quakes (it is so utterly bad that I am having to use plural) have had an effect on me, all of them (also really really bad to be able to use such a term as ‘all of them’!!) and my sense of humour has developed a ravenous hunger of its own. Mind you, in these times of such stress (so thick in the city you could slice it, wrap it, and mail it to a convent) we need to find stuff to laugh at. A gorgeous friend sent me a funny email and I so appreciated it because if we don’t find something to laugh at we are going to start laughing at really inappropriate things. Take, for example, the state of my house...

My chimney is falling off my house? Fucking hilllaaaarrious!!!!

I think the foundations may have moved cos the French doors won’t close? Pissing myself that I may have a hillock in my lounge!

The cracks in the house are moving? Rolling on the floor giggling that my house is like a transformer – house one minute, self-aware-leggo-blocks the next!! FUNNNNNYYYY!

The front of my house may soon be plywood???? Gads, what deliciously inappropriate art can I commission for it?? What art would both delight and shock my neighbours? WEEETTTING myself at the endless opportunities!!

The east is sinking in liquifaction? Glories BE, that must mean the west is rising, surely?? Fist salute!

You see what I mean? That last one is just completely inappropriate!




(* stole said terminology from  Ms Deborah McKay Loughlin -- she just told me I had to give her the credit!)


No comments:

Post a Comment