Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Friendship

I don’t look at friendships as in ‘what can I get out of this?’ I look at friendships as in ‘what can I give?’

The most rewarding bonds I have with people are the ones where we both contribute to the friendship.

There are, of course, those relationships that are (to put it bluntly) selfish, where the other person is only every after something, be it someone to explain their life and help them, or someone to rant on and on to about their life. But they don’t give, emotionally, to the relationship.

As much as we might want to talk on and on about our life, our woes, and to complain endlessly about everything…the less we take time to listen. And if we are always focussing the conversation on ourselves, then that is the only area that gets explored—and we stay within the small confines of that conversation.

The greatest friend ships you will ever have are the ones where both sides want to give to the relationship, to help, to listen, to support, affirm, embrace, and to just unconditionally love and accept the other person…but also be the one to say ‘actually, I think you’re just being a pratt.’

For me, life is about people. It’s all about people and relationships. And if I have reached the end of my lifetime and not truly loved … then I have wasted a vast opportunity. And so, when it is one of those beautiful friendships … I give it all I have to give, all the love in my heart. To do otherwise is to cheat both my friend and myself. I won’t do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment