Monday, September 12, 2011

Give your pets your best


Okay, so we make the choice to have pets, and so we know what we are getting ourselves into. The joy, the laughter, the games—the vet bills!

What we really don’t think about—and we should not ever let this affect our decision to adopt a pet—is how we will handle it when they die.

My answer to this is really pretty simple: give a hundred percent of your love to your family, friends, and pets, because to give any less is a betrayal of them and of you. Obviously I am talking about the core people in your life, not those who exist on the outer fringes (friends who are really just acquaintances and distant relatives).

Anyway, we were talking about pets…

We don’t think of them dying, and if we do we convince ourselves it won’t be that hard. Fact is, it is hard! It’s really hard when they die.

Oscar died today. Oscar was a beautiful blue budgie. He was my son’s pet, adopted when we moved back from four years living in Singapore, (daughter adopted a cat). Leaving school and friends a second time was hard (the first time was when we left NZ to live in Singapore), and so I asked the children to think about adopting a pet, to give them something to look forward to, to make the journey ahead more appealing! We arrived back in Christchurch 17th December 2004, and adopted the pets the very next day. Oscar was a hand reared budgie so was completely tame. He developed a real knack for sitting on my shoulder and removing my earrings!

He was a funny bird, and a chatty bird. I never walked past his cage without looking to see where he was and saying hello. And when I came down in the morning I would always talk to him, something like “Good morning Oscar. I will just feel these nagging cats first, then I will uncover you/I’ll uncover you as soon as the heat pump warms this room up a bit more”.

I might be in the kitchen making a cup of tea or cooking, and I never realised until now how much a part of my life (our lives) the sound of him eating his seed was. It was a background sound that was there, as was the sound of him sharpening his beak on the grit perch. His chattering in the background was a part of our lives. His calling to the birds outside in summer was a part of the noise of summer.

Part of the background of our lives has gone, and the space this little bird filled so completely, is empty.

Feeling as I do now, does this make me rethink the whole ‘pets’ thing? Is it worth it? You know what … it is worth is. I would rather love Oscar and grieve at his passing, than have not had him in our lives. I would rather feel my heart break, than have never heard his chatter. Yes, he was so worth it!

If you are going to adopt a pet, give them all of your love, so that when they do pass away, you will know they had the very best of you. Don’t hold back your love in anything out of fear of being hurt. Pain in life is inevitable and unavoidable. It will happen. But what you can do, is make sure you tip the scales the other way, the way of laughter, joy and love, so that they far outweigh the pain.

I look back over Oscar’s seven year life and can celebrate the day he did 60 flips round the perch! I can celebrate the way he loved seed pressed into peanut butter which was spread over a cracker! I can celebrate that he could say ‘Hello’ the same as three different people—he could also say ‘whatchadoin’, ‘budgie buddy’ and one day he called the cats name so perfectly we couldn’t believe it was him! He went crazy over silverbeet! He loved a piece of toast. He could repeat a number of different whistles, that we had taught him. We really did not teach him lots of English words and whistles because we loved the sound of him too! We loved his chatter! We loved the way he would watch whatever anyone was doing in the kitchen. The day he started to go downhill, he still watched me making the birthday cake for my son (Oscar was his budgie).

Every creature has a life span. And I believe we are honoured when we get to take care of a pet for their entire lifespan.

No comments:

Post a Comment