Monday, August 16, 2010

We Expect Too Much of Each Other

You don't see this man complain that he doesn't have a car.

In my heart, I know that there is more beyond what I see than I could possibly imagine.

Sometimes I get so caught up in the mundane day-to-day struggle of life, and of trying to be what I think other people expect me to be, that I do not allow myself to BE who I am.

I am under no obligation to grieve for the economy, to grieve for the loss of another’s opportunities (that may never have been for their highest good anyway), to grieve for the hurtful comments made by another adult, to grieve for their lack of enjoyment of life.

I am under no obligation to grieve for you.

So, please, stop expecting me to. Stop getting angry with me because I do not grieve for what you feel you do not have in your life.

You have so much.

And yet you focus only on that which you do not have.
  • I would rather celebrate having one dollar in my pocket than grieve for the fact that I do not have two dollars in my pocket.
  • I would rather celebrate my simple small apartment, than grieve for the big seven bedroom house that I do not have.
  • I would rather celebrate every second of the lives of my children, than ever ever grieve for how much it costs to raise them.
  • I would rather eat soup and scones for dinner at home with my family, than grieve for the dinner I am not having in a fancy restaurant.
  • I would rather celebrate the days I get to spend with my father and sister, than grieve at the months during which we live thousands of miles apart.
  • I would rather marvel at the sunrise, than grieve over the pile of ironing that I could be tending to.
  • I would rather celebrate that last piece of chocolate cake, than mourn that it is almost all gone.
  • I would rather relish ever second that my friends can spend with me, than mourn that we don’t get to see each other enough.
  • I would rather celebrate the heat of the day, than complain that it is too hot to go out.
  • I would rather enjoy that cup of tea at the food-court up the road, than complain that the sweat is running down my back.
  • I would rather walk on aching feet to the coffee shop to share cheesecake with my child, than say no and loose that special time together.
My life is what I make of it. My life is joyous, because I choose to see things through joyous eyes.

My life is abundant, because I choose to see the abundance in life.

We see what we look for. We find what we expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment